(Not sure if my reply is needed anymore, nor if it will make it or
 if my original will show up and this becomes a duplicate, as
 I ended up resubscribing so maybe I can reply.  Anyway, if there
 is interest I may update the boot disk building portion to
 optionally support more features (size, memory management, ramdrive,
 and/or NICs) or leave as is if no one really cares. KJD)

Ian McCall wrote:
I'd like to make a bootable ISO of FreeDOS which then directly loads a DOS utility I need. I can use the makeiso.bat on the install ISO to add
Is there a HOW-TO for going about this anywhere? If not, does anyone have any advice on how to proceed? The utility in question is

As this seems to pop up occasionally, I added a new boot disk to my
FreeDOS boot disk page.  For building bootable FreeDOS based CD-ROMS,
see http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/#bootCD
In particular:
http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/ISO/README.TXT   for more details
http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/ISO/FDOEMCD.builder.zip useful part, 550KB

and for license satisfaction:
http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/ISO/FDOEMCD.source.zip  if you intend to
redistribute your ISO/CD-ROM, you need to provide these files

http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/ISO/FDOEMCD.source-tools.zip  if you want
to redistribute the builder.zip, essentially just MKISOFS source.

This is sorta like the INSTALL ISO image, but much simpler.
Unzip the builder zip, add your files to the CD\ directory,
edit CD\AUTORUN.BAT to run your program and edit mkisofs.rc for
the proper CD volume name, then run included makeiso.bat.
It runs the DJGPP port of mkisofs to build FDOEM.ISO.  This is
the bootable CD-ROM ISO image with your program, burn it to a
CD-ROM and give it a go.

I plan to add examples, but I'm not really sure what program to
use that is useful, small, and freely distributable.  If you
download the builder.zip and run makeiso.bat without adding anything,
you get a very basic bootable DOS CD-ROM; just DOS (kernel),
command interpreter (FreeCOM), XMS support via himem64, mouse
support using CuteMouse, and of course CD-ROM access to the
booted CD-ROM.

Hope this helps some potential FreeDOS users.  Send me a note
if you have any suggestions to make it more useful.  (Not saying
I'll have time to implement them, but maybe :-)  I tested on
Windows NT5 system, but should work under DOS as well (except
the boot disk building program).

Thanks,
Jeremy Davis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]