My solution has been to run DOSVNC (I did this a couple years ago) and
setup Xvnc to run from inetd and setup gdm on my linux server.
Depending on what port I used I would get different resolutions.

DOSVNC is available from
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/nino/dosvnc.html

I can probably find the docs on the linux side if you are interested, or
point you to the page I got the information from.

Regards,
Paul