On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:35:42 +0300, you wrote:

Hi Lucho,

>Why not put up a list of FreeDOS-incompatible software so that problems
>can be solved one-by-one? Can you ask your friend to make a list of his
>software not running under FreeDOS and a brief description of the problem
>with each piece of software? I've always thought that the biggest problem
>of the FreeDOS kernel aren't bugs but incompatibility (which is also a
>kind of bug ;-)

Because he's testing with some very old games which may have
protection. That kind of games is not worth spending time on it, but
if you're hacker, then it's good for you ;-)

I ask him to provide some 'not working' application for me to test,
maybe a bit later.

>NTFS it a too complex filesystem for DOS. The FAT32 + LFN combination is

Just thinking maybe can use FreeDOS to rescue NTFS, if too complex
then drop it.

>enough. DOSLFN is a giant patch over the kernel and as its authors seem to
>ignore FreeDOS, its incompatibility will increase - so the only good
>solution to the LFN problem is integrating LFN support into the kernel,
>indeed.

But integrating LFN into kernel will lack flexibility ... How about
modify the kernel to provide API, and load LFN as a device driver?
Then we can change the device driver without altering the kernel
version by version.

>Unfortunately not all BIOSes can boot off an USB "memory stick". Again,
>why not put up a list of the motherboards proved to boot and proved to be
>unable to boot FreeDOS off a "memory stick"?

I don't have a "USB memory stick", I think it's worth to buy one for
use and test. Also your idea was good, but I need help from others
because I have a few motherboard only, the list is meaningless if only
3 or 4 boards there.

Rgds,
Johnson.