Prasad Mehendale wrote:

Hallo all !
I hope I am not asking an Off Topic question.
I am a designer of microcontroller based systems, and prefer to write in assembly for
speed and small size.
I never learned anything about an OS systematically though I used some (dos & linux).
My question is-
Is it possible to describe an OS in short ? If yes, can any one do this for me? You
also may provide some link on net.
I am interested in knowing the difference between the RTOS and the one we frequently
use.
I have fair understanding of internal hardware and architecture of micro-processor and
controller. Is it sufficient to understand what an OS is ? One may describe all this
with reference to Freedos.
Thanks again.

Prasad Mehendale

http://www.freedos.org is a site that might be of some help to you.