Eric Auer schreef:

Hi all,
the big warning on freedos.org is indeed important to know about.
IF you have WinXP (or WinNT or Win2k) on your PC on a NTFS drive
AND IF you have a FAT based operating system as well, for example
Win98,
AND IF you boot from the FreeDOS beta 9 CD-ROM to install FreeDOS,
THEN FreeDOS should find that you have a boot menu on the C: drive
of Win98 (the NTFS C: drive of WinXP will be invisible for DOS)
and should add itself there.
BUT THERE IS A BUG, and the installer will not notice that you have
*both* WinXP and Win98 in that boot menu. So in the end you will
have a boot menu with only Win98 and FreeDOS menu items.

Almost correct, though your description is also a valid case.
(Win98 not on the same primary partition as XP, and FreeDOS installing on the Win98 partition.)

Current problem was boot.ini was not detected. You and I decided we should trust OSCHECK more,
and less rely on the existence of C:\BOOT.INI file.

You will have to boot WinXP in text mode (not really DOS mode, I
think they call it "recovery console", but do NOT attempt to do
the "recovery process" - the process would format your whole disk,
stupid MS invention). Then you will have to use FIXBOOT (BOOTFIX?)
to make the system boot WinXP again. FIXMBR will not be needed. You
might first have to boot a Win98 CD or floppy and do SYS C: to reset
the boot menu to "only Win98", but only if FIXBOOT alone does not get
it right, before doing FIXBOOT.

Recovery console is only available on Win2000/XP cdrom, or harddisk if installed (WINNT32.EXE /CMDCONS).

I hope that Bernd will publish an update for the install system
very soon - after all, FreeDOS is indeed able to get a boot menu
correct for the cases of:

This weekend, I think. I made improvements and only have to test with VMware the case of
-win98 installed,
-win2000 installed over it
-create snapshot (recovery checkpoint of a VMware virtual machine)
-install FreeDOS

and then see if everything goes OK.

I think I have fullfilled a few of Eric's requests by now:
*make the FreeDOS cdrom part less dependant on the bootdisk part.
*put the contents of the ODIN bootdisk on cdrom (basically eliminating the need for the BIN directory)

There are still a few FreeDOS related components in development, which I would like to add to the cdrom.
However, waiting any longer is not acceptable, due to the current NT bootloader messing up situation that about half a dozen people now experienced.

Bernd