Karim schreef:

I tried to run Descent on FreeDOS (with the default config.sys and
autoexec.bat), no sound or memory managment, only to look if it works.

It puts out an error string: "DOS/16M Error:[17] system software does
not follw VCPI or DPMI spec. "

It would help if you posted the contents of the files config.sys (possibly fdconfig.sys) and autoexec.bat
(possibly fdauto.bat in your freedos directory) in your email.

I don't know what you mean by default config.sys/autoexec.bat, as I don't know which menu item you started, and which FreeDOS distribution you are using.
www.freedos.org has a newsitem which leads to the latest version of EMM386 and HIMEM.

sample configuration for config.sys:
DEVICE=HIMEM.EXE
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=TEST