Hi Trent,
FreeDOS cannot easily use NTFS drives. You can load NTFS4DOS
(free for private use), but this creates a new shell and is
is - maybe - not compatible to EMM386. Maybe the complex
driver will even trouble your sound player.
Similar for USB: There are free closed source drivers for
USB in DOS, and they work in FreeDOS as good or bad as in
other DOSes, but they are not trivial to install, and some
are not compatible to EMM386 either. Not because it is OUR
EMM386 - they are not compatible to any EMM386 at all.

Even for SoundBlaster PCI, the EMM386 compatibility needs
a special mode, which you activate by the "SB" option of
our EMM386.

But okay. You want Impulse Tracker and console emulators.
What kinds of consoles? I think the simplest and best way
would be to use Linux. My PC is slighly slower than yours
and has far less RAM, but still it plays all kinds of sound
files just fine - If I had such drives, I could even read
NTFS and USB disks without bigger problems on Linux. Same
for video, but WMV9 is sometimes a bit too much for my CPU,
then I have to mencode down to mpeg2 or mpeg4/divx first...

Talking about Linux, with Linux ntfsresize you can shrink
your NTFS partitions to get some space free for a FAT32
partition. On that, you can then install FreeDOS (wait for
the beta 9 service release 1 update first) and play all
your music without having to work with NTFS or USB DOS drivers.
Then you only use Linux as helper for the DOS
installation and do the rest with DOS.

Eric