Hi Michael:

Thank you VERY MUCH for this information.  I will do some more
experiments to try to narrow this down.  What I was seeing
was things like "del/s" freezing the computer before completing.

Perhaps the disk was somehow corrupted.  Or, maybe it was
the wrong data in the boot sector (from the SYS command) or
maybe something else.

The applications I am trying to run are actually pretty good
torture tests, with a lot of direct access to serial and parallel
ports and critical timing requirements.

Your information helps a great deal in where to look!  Thanks again.

Mark