On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:29:19 +0100 (MET), you wrote:

Hi Eric,

>Hi Johnson, cmedia.com.tw tells that their CM8737 chip has a "great"
>SB16 emulation, including DMA... However, I now downloaded the newest
>DOS driver from them, told my BIOS to force the IRQ to 5..10 range (so
>the interrupt redirector part of the CMedia DOS driver is not needed),
>and read the promise in their documentation that BOTH 8bit and 16bit
>DMA are supported in DOS compatible way. I found that I had to throttle
>the CPU speed from 800 to 100 MHz for some DOS games, to avoid runtime
>error 200 and timeouts during SoundBlaster detection...

Did you ask someone to test?
Too bad I didn't like onboard chips, so I disable it.

>Still, only Adlib and NON-DMA (but at least that, nice for MOD players)
>SoundBlaster DSP access work. Trying to do real DSP DMA access gives
>me everything between DMA failure, SB16 detection failure, looping of
>the first 0.x seconds of the intended sound, and creative silence (TM).
>Better than the noise which you get when trying to use DMA 1 for both
>the 8- and the 16-bit DMA, I guess.

Did you ask them by email?

>So there have been some improvements during my experiments, but I can
>still only hear DSP DMA based sound in DOSEmu, which simulates a SB16,
>while that CMedia chip just fails to do what is promised that it would
>be able to do.

I can help to send Chinese email, I got several times reply and found
that their English surprisingly bad, may cause misunderstanding.

>Well... does any of the readers have a CMedia based soundcard or on-
>board sound system which DOES work right in DOS, or can anybody tell
>me some nice PCI soundcard which works really okay in DOS? How about
>those fancy SBPCI / SBLive DOS drivers, are they stable with most DOS
>programs? Or the VIA onboard AC97 with SB16 emulation mode maybe?

Just know that MPXPLAY claim that it works with CMI chips.
My SBLive works under DOS with SBLive DOS driver, buggy, large and
easily conflict with other programs.

>Sooner or later I will want a non-ISA motherboard with WORKING DOS sound,
>but for now I guess I will just have to repair my K6-2 500 system, which
>has ISA, PCI and AGP slots (!) :-|.

Same as my IWILL XA-100Plus: ISA, PCI and AGP.

Rgds,
Johnson.