> Yes, under every version of DOS that I'm

>aware of, HIMEM.SYS is an XMS driver for 286 and above.

>Not true of MS-DOS 7.x.  FreeDOS reports as 7.10, also.

>   I was only speaking of MS-DOS  up to 6.22,  because that's what i

>think of when i talk about DOS. I didn't know there was a DOS 7.x

Underlying Win9X/ME there's a MS-DOS:

MS-DOS 7.0 for the first versions of Win95

MS-DOS 7.10 for Win95 OSR2+ and Win98

MS-DOS 8.0 for WinME

>   I only meant regular 'Joe User' who uses/used DOS to play games,

>etc. Not programmers, or DOS experts - I don't know much about UMB

>(Upper Memory Blocks?) or VCPI. I just remember a friend telling me to

>use EMM386 because I was getting a 'not enough EMS memory' error

>when i

>tried running some old DOS games for the first time.

I know of a very old game (was it Cosmic Crussade?) using EMS, but nothing else.

>   The whole XMS topic confuses me. I thought that XMS was

>extended memory, and that's what I was reffering to. I have just been

>reading about it, and the book mentioned BIOS routines that provided an

>offset to a GDT for a PM switch, so I guess I interpreted it wrong.

XMS: Extended Memory Specifications

The specifications tell not only about EMBs (extended memory blocks), but also
UMBs (Upper Memory Blocks) and HMA (High Memory Area).

The specific functions about UMBs are normally hooked and serviced by EMM386,
where the rest is left to HIMEM

Aitor