Theresa Westbrook wrote:

So - What can I do with Freedos that I cannot currently do with my laptop?

That really depends on what you can currently do.

But seriously, FreeDOS allows you to do pretty much the same as any DOS does. For normal desktop usage, if your laptop already has Windows or Linux (...) then not much if anything. FreeDOS is more for those who still want (or have no other option) to use older computers where Windows/Linux/... either does not run or runs slowly. It is also great for running older DOS software such as games which may not function so well or at all within the DOS boxes of other OSes. Other uses are for boot disks; which themselves can be used for testing computers or other recovery purposes, cloning partitions, installing OSes, ... Some people use it for custom applications, or if you are like me, its just a fun OS to play with.

There are thousands or more programs written for DOS, so you can really do a lot with it, but at the same time, most do not have a friendly GUI interface and/or no longer sold so can be difficult to come by.

In the end, you can pretty much do the same stuff with most OSes, it is just more difficult with some than others (ie not worth it) for some tasks.

[Note: when I used Windows above, I mean Win32 or newer versions such as Windows 9x or NT.]

Jeremy