Hello, all:

I've been fiddling with an MS-DOS script to find out what drive
letter is assigned to a ram drive, trying to get it to work with
tdsk and FreeDOS.

I've run into two differences that suprised me.

1.  The "VOL" command built into command.com appears to
output to stderr instead of stdout.  So, piping the output,
redirecting it to a file, etc., does not work.  The external
"VOL" command does output to stdout.  This seems odd...

2.  The MS-DOS syntax
if condition (
)
gives a syntax error.  Where is the behavior of "if" in command.com
documented?  I've seen one example script that seemed to use a
"+" to seperate multiple commands in an if statement.  Again, where
is the behavior and syntax documented?

I want to do this booting from a CD, so it appears I CAN'T use a
pipe (|) since that appears to need a file on the boot device.

I may have to break down and use something other than tdsk
so I can get the drive letter...

Thanks!  I appreciate the great support I get for FreeDOS.

Mark Bailey