Hi!

19-Мар-2005 17:23 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Florian Xaver) wrote to fd-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net>:

FX> As i understand, you may change the code if you have a license.
FX> The license file is in the download.
FX>> There was an open source version (for non-profit-organisations): OpenDOS
FX>> 7.01. Udo Kuhnt developing it now!
FX>      Open source not equal to free software. MS' Shared Sources allows to
FX> browse source, but not fork, modify, etc. As I understand, OD sources was

     Quote from license.txt, which was come with OpenDOS kernel sources:

______________O\_/_________________________________\_/O______________
PART I -- TERMS APPLICABLE WHEN LICENSE FEES NOT (YET) PAID TO
CALDERA (LIMITED LICENSE FOR EVALUATION, EDUCATIONAL AND NON-PROFIT
USE) ONLY.
[...]
whether to purchase an ongoing license to the Software.  The evaluation
period for use by or on behalf of a commercial entity is limited
to 90 days; evaluation use by others is not subject to this 90 day
limit but is still limited to a reasonable period.  Government
[...]
PART II -- TERMS APPLICABLE WHEN LICENSE FEES PAID

GRANT. Subject to payment of applicable license fees, Caldera grants
to you a non-exclusive license to use the Software in binary and source
form and accompanying online documentation ("Documentation") in the
manner described in Parts III and IV below under "Scope of Grant."
[...]
PART IV -- TERMS APPLICABLE TO SOURCE CODE GRANT
[...]
*  redistribute the Software for non-commerical purposes, provided any
   copy must contain all of the  original Software's proprietary notices,
   marks and license terms. (Note: redistibution of derivative products
   for commercial gain is permitted, provided a license is obtained
   before the derivative products are exchanged for commercial gain)
[...]
*  modify, translate, compile, disassemble, or create derivative works
   based on the Software provided that such modifications are for
   non-commercial use and that such modifications are provided back to
   Caldera except for those who have obtained the right from Caldera
   in writing to retain such modifications; any modification, translation,
   compilation, disassembly or derivative work used for commercial gain
   requires a seperate license from Caldera;

Thus: does Udo paid for license (if not, then he limited by "a reasonable
period" "evalution")? Does Udo gurantees that his derivative work
(modification) is "for non-commercial use" and he "provide modifications
back to Caldera" (now SCO)? Or Udo gets "right from Caldera to retain
modifications"? And under which license Udo's work? And what included in his
package (only kernel or all utilities)? What about all later bugfixes and
enhancements (like supporting 7.8+ Gb and FAT32)?