Basil Holloway schreef:
I have the fixed program, but will not redistribute it until next FreeDOS distro, as I need to provide proper credits to the patcher.Got this reply on forum and have not be able to locate the new Free Dos 9 help file
to replace the existing copy on the download program.
"this is a known bug in htmlhelp program. We don't really know what the cause is, but a recompiled version using kitten library instead of cats seems to fix it (and should be available somewhere, ask on fd-user list if you can't find it)"
Can anyone please advise download web address.
If anyone feels like creating a diff file, go ahead.
patch process and patch documentation by Robert Kircher.
Here is the source I used to build help.exe. The files contained in this archive already incorporate the changes below.
***WARNING*** The help.prj file is the original, unmodified project file. It will *not* build a working help.exe.
Here are the steps I used to compile a working help.exe. I copied the CDROM to \CDROM. Next I downloaded zlib from http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib121.zip and kitten from http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/lang/libs/cats/kitten-b.zip and placed them in my \XFER directory.
Note that I used Borland C++ 3.1. I don't recall if Turbo C 2 has the prj2mak utility. If not then just change the build environment in the IDE by adding kitten.c and removing cats/catdb.lib, or I could send you the whole help.mak file.
1. Create a build directory and change to it md \build cd \build
2. Unpack the help source pkunzip /d \cdrom\freedos\packages\src_base\disk10\helps.zip
3. Create a zlib directory and change to it md \build\zlib cd \build\zlib
4. Unpack the zlib distribution pkunzip /o /d \xfer\zlib121.zip
5. Build zlib make -f msdos\makefile.bor
6. Copy the zlib header and lib files copy zconf.h \build\source\help copy zlib.h \build\source\help\unz copy zlib_l.lib \build\source\help\unz
7. Go to the help src dir cd \build\source\help
8. Create a makefile from the project file prj2mak help.prj
9. Edit the makefile: Change LIBPATH and INCLUDEPATH if appropriate; my compiler is in C:\BC
Change line 37 from: cats\catdb.lib to: kitten.obj
Add a '+' to the end of line 55 (unzip.obj --> unzip.obj+) then add a line just below it (before the line that says "help" by itself): kitten.obj
Delete line 60, "cats\catdb.lib+"
Change "cl.lib" in (the new) line 60 to C:\BC\LIB\cl.lib Note: this step
shouldn't be needed but I've always had to do it in other projects; it
should be handled by $LIBPATH but isn't always.
Add a dependency line for kitten.c, around line 85: kitten.obj: help.cfg kitten.c (make sure it's preceded and followed by a blank line)
Save the makefile and exit the editor.
10. Extract the kitten source and header files pkunzip \xfer\kitten-b.zip
11. Edit catdefs.h by changing line 4 from: #include "cats\catgets.h" to: #include "kitten.h"
12. In kitten.c, add new line 23: #include <io.h> /* open, read, close */ then change the "#if 1" to "#if 0" in line 62.
13. Build it make -f help.mak
14. Compress it upx --best help.exe
------------------------------------------------------- This SF.net email is sponsored by Microsoft Mobile & Embedded DevCon 2005 Attend MEDC 2005 May 9-12 in Vegas. Learn more about the latest Windows Embedded(r) & Windows Mobile(tm) platforms, applications & content. Register by 3/29 & save $300 http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6883&alloc_id=15149&op=click _______________________________________________ Freedos-user mailing list Freedosfirstname.lastname@example.org https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-user