Hi Tom:

You can see www.k1ea.com/hints
Dual-boot "Real" DOS on Windows XP by Mark Bailey, KD4D

for detailed instructions on how to configure GAG (a boot
loader) to dual boot Windows XP and MS-DOS.  To extend
this to Linux (all of my machines actually triple boot various
DOS flavors, Windows XP, and various Linux flavors), you need
to install GRUB or LILO in the /root partition of the Linux
installation.  DO NOT install GRUB or LILO in the MBR of
the disk...that's where GAG lives.

Most of the Linux installers I've used lately offer that as an
option.  Otherwise, that's something like /dev/sda3 instead
of /dev/sda  (or hd(0,3) instead of hd(0,0)).  I'm probably
remembering the GRUB syntax wrong... :-)

GAG is much easier to deal with.  It will boot FreeDOS just fine.

The only "glitch" is that the default FreeDOS installer
insists on installing the basic boot files to "C:".  If your
multi-boot machine has something else on what FreeDOS
thinks is C:, you have to manually do a "SYS" to the other
drive and manually install FreeDOS there.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I suspect GRUB
can be forced to do this, but GAG is much easier to configure.
See gag.sourceforge.net. The machine I am typing on now
has MS-DOS, FreeDOS, Windows XP, Debian sarge, and
simplyMEPIS (If I recall correctly...:-))

Mark Bailey