Hi,

I've installed recently FreeDOS on an friend's PC (Cel 850 / 384 MB SDRAM).
That PC have a Sound Blaster 64 PCI sound card and I have a big problem to
install its driver. The driver must be launched when HIMEM & EMM386 are
installed, and it needs to have at least 2MB of the first 4MB XMS memory
free. I know that sounds weird :)
Basically, there should be 2MB of free ram in the range 0MB XMS ... 4MB XMS.
The driver need it to load the MIDI samples (they aren't present onboard).
The problem is that when I load EMM386, it takes instantly 13'266 kb of XMS
memory! Obviously, the first 4MB aren't available anymore :(
I tried following EMM386 combinations:

EMM386 NOEMS FRAME=NONE X=TEST
EMM386 NOEMS I=TEST
EMM386 NOEMS SB
EMM386 NOEMS SB NOVCPI

When I load EMM386 with the NOVCPI parameter, it takes only about 200kb of
XMS, so it could be ok, unfortunately the SB driver needs VCPI :(
As far as I know, EMM386 souldn't take any XMS??

Of course, I have the latest versions of HIMEM.EXE, EMM386.EXE, COMMAND.COM
and KERNEL (these are the only things I load)

Best regards,
Fox