Hi Eric:

Thanks! Hopefully, lastdrive will fix it. And, I'll check out the
VIDE-CDD driver.

Mark

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi Mark, Mans,
as far as I understand, LASTDRIVE is the only problem.

I can think of two simple things. First, try adding the line
LASTDRIVE=Y
to your config.sys file.

Or to your fdconfig.sys file if you use that instead. FreeDOS
will first look for fdconfig.sys and use config.sys only if
there is no fdconfig.sys - useful on dual-boot systems.

In autoexec.bat, you should have a line
for the CDROM driver.  Mine is:

mscdex.exe /D:MSCD001 /L:R

Mark, MSCDEX, for FreeDOS? We have SHSUCDX! It is small (in RAM
and on disk) and flexible :-)). Read the docs for SHSUCDX command
line option syntax, but it is quite similar to MSCDEX syntax.

(config.sys contains
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:MSCD001)

Well, FreeDOS does have ATAPICDD, a generic driver, but I must say
that ATAPICDD is far too SLOW and UNRELIABLE (it sometimes fails
to detect that a read error has happened), so OAKCDROM is okay at
the moment until ATAPICDD gets better. However, what is much more
useful is Acer VIDE-CDD 2.14 (you can get it as "real mode CD-ROM
driver" from their homepage). Very small, quite fast, works with
basically all IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM drives. For SCSI drives, you would
get drivers from the SCSI controller vendor, e.g. Adaptec has a
nice collection on their page.

the "/L:R" sets the CD drive letter to "R". If you have set it
to something like "E", the third partition on the hard drive would
also be "E" and you might have a problem.

I think that Mans did not use the /L option. He probably allowed
SHSUCDX to select a drive letter itself, but there were just not
enough drive letters left over. Using LASTDRIVE=Y will help :-).

Eric