Hello, all:

In many cases, it is a LOT easier just to shrink the Windows XP
NTFS partition a bit and create a FAT32 partition for sharing files
between Windows XP and DOS.  You can even make this FAT32
partition bootable and install FreeDOS if you want.

Partition Magic used to be able to do this, but doesn't work on
the NTFS partitions I've tried in the last year or so.  I think
it may be related to XP SP2.  YMMV.

The open source qtparted program does this easily enough.
You can boot it from the system rescue cd, www.sysresccd.org
and do the repartitioning.

For more information, you can see
http://k1ea.com/hints/DOS%20dual%20boot%20version%201.0.pdf

The recently released NTFS4DOS driver also allows write
access to NTFS partitions and does work with FreeDOS as well.

Mark Bailey