Michael Devore wrote:
I would ask why you'd want to bother using FreeCOM under Win98, since it's a rather strange mix prone to a number of potential pitfalls, but it's not really any of my business so I won't.

I wanted to use FreeCOM on Win98 mainly for two reasons:
- filename completion
- FreeCOM defaults to insert mode, while Win98 COMMAND.COM defaults to overwrite mode

Anyway, I see that 4dos (and 4os2) is now free (though without source, it would appear), so I may as well try that instead. I realise that there are lots of TSRs to provide filename completion, though I'm not sure whether Win98's COMMAND.COM can be configured to default to insert mode instead of overwrite.