Hi Michael:

Thanks again for the help.  That didn't change the symptoms at
all from just using NOEMS...still get the error from DOS/32A!

What does DOSDATA=UMB do?  I am booting from a USB floppy
drive most of the time...occasionally from a CD with a 1.44MByte
floppy disk image.  Development kernel, command.com, and
SYS command.  New himem.exe/emm386.exe.

NTFS4DOS failed to load at all.

config.sys:

!LASTDRIVE=Z
!BUFFERS=20
!FILES=40
!DOS=HIGH,UMB
!DOSDATA=UMB
echo  NTFS4DOS included by permission from datapol gmbh, germany
echo  NTFS4DOS and this CD may only be used on "private computers"
echo           and for "private uses"
echo  See www.datapol.de/dpd.
echo  Mark Bailey, [EMAIL PROTECTED], July 12, 2005 - Alpha 1.0
SHELL=a:\command.com a:\ /p
!MENUCOLOR=7,0
MENUDEFAULT=1,5
MENU 1 - Boot FreeDOS without NTFS4DOS
MENU 2 - Boot FreeDOS with NTFS4DOS
12?DEVICE=A:\FDOS\HIMEM.EXE
12?DEVICE=a:\fdos\emm386.exe x=test memcheck vds noems max=256M
2?installhigh=a:\datapol\ntfs4dos.exe a:\command.com a:\ /p
12?DEVICE=a:\fdos\tdsk.exe 4096

------

mem /f /x

Segment   Size       Name         Type
------- --------  ----------  -------------
  0271     6512   DOS         system data
  0273      192    FILES       data area
  0280     2528    HIMEM       device driver
  031f     3344    EMM386      device driver
  03f1      384    TDSK        device driver
  0409       48               free
  040d     2992   COMMAND     program
  04c9       96   MEM         environment
  04d0    48240   MEM         program
  1098   583264               free
  9f00   200704               reserved
  d000     6368   DOS         system data
  d002       64    DEVICE      data area
  d007     1904    FILES       data area
  d07f     2288    LASTDRV     data area
  d10f     2048    STACKS      data area
  d18f     3312   CTMOUSE     program
  d25f    28752               free
  d965    24416               free
  df5c     2304               free
  dfed      288   COMMAND     environment

Testing XMS memory ...
INT 2F AX=4309 supported
XMS version               3.00          XMS driver version        3.11
HMA state                 exists        A20 line state            enabled
Free XMS memory           530183168 bytes
Largest free XMS block    530183168 bytes
Free handles              68

 Block   Handle     Size     Locks
------- --------  --------  -------
      0     1802    937984        1
      1     1812   4194304        0
      2     1822    105472        0
Free upper memory         55520 bytes
Largest upper block       28768 bytes

Memory Type        Total       Used       Free
----------------  --------   --------   --------
Conventional          636K        19K       617K
Upper                  64K        10K        54K
Reserved              324K       324K         0K
Extended (XMS)    522,936K     5,179K   517,757K
Total memory      523,960K     5,532K   518,428K

Total under 1 MB      700K        29K       671K

Largest executable program size       617K (631,520 bytes)
Largest free upper memory block        28K ( 28,768 bytes)
FreeDOS is resident in the high memory area.