At 01:24 AM 7/14/2005 +0000, Mark wrote:

FreeDOS, development kernel, command.com, sys
Newest HIMEM/EMM386

Conventional Memory    639       384    255
Upper                                64          4      60

If you e-mail me your copy of NTFS4DOS.EXE I'll see if the problem duplicates here or is environment specific.

Trying to use installhigh/loadhigh doesn't help and, in fact,
crashes MS-DOS 6.22 (error messages from FreeDOS).

There are argument differences in himem and emm386:

MSDOS: (from Datapol's documentation)
DEVICEHIGH=a:\HIMEM.SYS /NUMHANDLES=128 /TESTMEM:OFF /Q

FreeDOS:
DEViCEHIGH=a:\fdos\himem.exe

MSDOS: (based on sheer guesswork)
DEVICEHIGH=a:\emm386.exe noems

FreeDOS: (based on suggestions)
DEVICEHIGH=a:\fdos\emm386.exe x=test memcheck vds noems max=256M

Does this spark any ideas?  It looks like chasing another K of Upper
memory won't help.  It also looks like installhigh/loadhigh isn't the
way to go.  (Thanks to Eric Auer for suggesting that or I probably
wouldn't have noticed the significance of that autoexec.bat file).

Thanks again for the great support!  I appreciate it a lot.

Mark