[EMAIL PROTECTED] schreef:
Ok, I just added edit.exe to my boot floppy!  :-)

First, modifying config.sys to:
a:\device=himem.exe
a:\device=emm386.exe noems X=a000-efff memcheck vds

EMM386 reports "no suitable UMB memory block found"  :-)

FDISK shows a bunch of garbage after "Do you want to use
large disk (FAT32) support (Y/N).  I hit <ESC> <ESC> and rebooted.

The kernel no longer sees the partitions on boot.  So, that still failed,
trashing my partition table.

load UDMA2.SYS before EMM386, or get rid of the VDS parameter for EMM386. Disk isn't found then in VMware, so I'm not even trying a real computer as I'm not sure if it actually harms the harddisk data or only corrupts access to the harddisk.

I should probably try HIMEM/EMM386 with VDS parameter on a partition running MSDOS kernel, to see if disk is still accessible.

DEVICE=HIMEM.EXE
DEVICE=UDMA2.SYS
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=A000-EFFF MEMCHECK VDS

-or-

DEVICE=HIMEM.EXE
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=A000-EFFF MEMCHECK

I'm not searching for to blame a component, too many factors involved.

Bernd