Hello, all:

I downloaded the development kernel, SYS, and command.com files
TODAY and repeated the experiment.  Everything worked
fine...the hard disk boots, is recognized, and comes up as C:.
There is no A: confusion.

I did some research and learned way more than I ever wanted
to know about volume boot sectors.  :-)

The SYS version says V3.6, July 21, 2005.  Does that mean it
was updated or it it somehow automatically built every day?

The version that failed was version 3.4, so I guess this
problem was fixed.

This problem would have been enough to send a casual user
back to MS-DOS (IMHO).  :-(  Now, back to the FDISK problem -
tomorrow, maybe.

Mark