At 08:36 PM 7/22/2005 +0100, Gerry Hickman wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

By the way, I consider this bug extremely serious.

I agree, and Michael's post would appear to confirm that FDISK is far from read-only, but has this bug always been there, or is it only in recent development builds?

If it's always been there, why have more people not been affected?

Biggest mitigating factors are that if your hard drive behaves without errors, is reasonably standard with expected parameters, and there is no corruption of the program, the MBR write on startup won't occur. Hard drives do tend to be reliable and within common CHS/LBA expectations. And I'm guessing that most of the time there isn't corruption of the FDISK program such that it blows its internal partition or read data, or stack.

Thing to remember is that we don't know the actual bug is in FDISK. It may well not be there. We just know that FDISK is "unfriendly" to anything other than expected behavior to the point of potentially disastrous actions. Unexpected behaviors are likely rare events.