I have a machine where to reproduce this bug, or a similar one. It's a 286. Strangely enough, FreeDOS will boot from floppy and see C:, but will refuse to boot from there (locks at InitDisk I think, I haven't investigated into this). The bad point is that I wasn't able to investigate into this, my 286 is not handy at the moment. I'll have a window at the second week of August. I seem to recall that Arkady has a tool to inspect the MBR and find possible problems, right? Hopefully this may help to understand where and why kernel locks, and bypass this (I do not mean to mount the drive, but at least bypass the lock somehow, does it make sense to boot from a non-mounted partition).
Aitor

Mark Bailey escribió:
Good morning:

In all of my flailing around about MBR's, I do believe that I have
found a kernel bug.  The failure of the FreeDOS kernel to initialize
with the "incorrect" MBR looks like a bug. It is impossible to use FDISK to correct the MBR when the kernel won't initialize. :-)
(Yes, I can use a different operating system to fix it).

How do I report the bug?  I tried the bugzilla link from the
freedos.org home page, but it won't let me create an account.

The bug is that, with an apparently incorrect MBR, the development
kernel refuses to boot.

Thanks.

Mark Bailey