Eric Auer wrote:

<< please do not use HTML mail. Use plain text instead. Thanks... >>

Many apologies. I hadn't noticed.

<< You should indeed try the UDMA2 driver (only for PCI/newer
systems, and UDMA probably has to be enabled in BIOS first, not
supported in SCSI). In addition, you should load a cache.
Of course I recommend lbacache >>

Will do when I move over from the old pre-1997 non-pentium machine to one of my others. lbacache sounds great. Thanks Eric.

<< Do not forget to load HIMEM and use DOS=HIGH in your config sys.
Best performance is probably WITHOUT EMM386 ... tradeoff between ... >>

As a newbie to DOS who knows no better, I have:
BUFFERS=15 ...
DEVICE=c:\fdos\bin\himem.exe
DEVICE=c:\fdos\bin\emm386.exe (without NOEMS)
DOS=HIGH,UMB ...

I'm primarily using the machine to run the dos/freedos desktop environment which is written in C using djgpp. djgpp provides a 32-bit (protected mode?) extension to DOS (except we still appear to be limited to 8.3 filenames). So, I have no idea whether I should or shouldn't use EMM386.

<< PS: Seal dead? Probably, but you could get the sources of the last
version to revive them instead of rewriting everything, I guess... >>

I had a go at working on Seal's source code, but couldn't fathom some of their code, and the forum, development team and support appears to have fizzled out. In the end I decided that the only way forward was to work it out for myself and write my own code which I can understand and can heavily comment for future reference. I've written extensively in several other languages -- but C, too, is all very new to me.

Thanks again, Eric.
Eric T.