At 01:46 PM 8/7/2005 +0100, Gerry Hickman wrote:

I then rebooted without VDS and everything worked correctly.

I then rebooted with VDS again, and everything was messed up.

Thing is, I have no idea what VDS is for, and don't know if I'd ever need it!

When VDS becomes a default option, either the SCSI incompatibility needs to be worked around (possibly by a special SCSI detection sequence), or else you will need to turn off VDS through a NOVDS option. Theoretically, a SCSI drive could need VDS support to run drivers in which are loaded in upper memory, although I'm not sure SCSI can always peacefully co-exist with EMM386. It's famously incompatible with MS EMM386 in certain situations.

Consequently, it would be nice to get your SCSI-based machines -- and any others with problems -- working with VDS option present, if possible.