Hi Bernd,

Bootsectors contain geometry (disk/partition layout information) which can change. So this is all a matter of just copying bootsectors and omitting system files, it seems.

I don't understand this statement. Do you mean to say "So this is _not_ a matter of just copying bootsectors". If it _is_ a matter of "just copying bootsectors", why does it seem so difficult to make it work? We just copy the boot sector and live happily ever after?

Are you perhaps saying that when you run MS FORMAT, it does not just simply copy a boilerplate boot sector, it actually creates one based on the geometry of the drive you are formatting?

Are you perhaps also saying that even if I got a boot sector to work, and backed it up to bootsect.bin, that it might ONLY work on that exact hard drive, not some other hard drive?

Missing only 2 cases now:
*FD FORMAT, then restore MS bootsector
           ( first do SYS C: /DUMPBS A:\BACKUP.BIN )
           ( after format do:
             SYS C: /RESTORBS A:\BACKUP.BIN )
This gets you a FDOS filesystem but with MS bootsector

Can you tell me where the /DUMPBS and /RESTORBS switches are documented? I can't find them from the command line...

*MS FORMAT, then run SYS C: /BOOTONLY /OEM:MS
this gets you a MS filesystem but with FreeDOS bootsector

I thought /OEM:MS was supposed to insert a _Microsoft_ bootsector?

Test 2 - Mixed FreeDOS and MS-DOS (this works)
FDISK /delete /pri:2
FDISK /prio:2000
FDISK /activate /pri:2
<reboot into MS-DOS from floppy>
MS FORMAT c: (Note this is MS-DOS Format!)

this installs MS bootsector.

Right.

There's a small chance FD FORMAT creates a slightly different filesystem compared to MS FORMAT. Add to that the 2 different bootsectors, and that might explain things then.

OK.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)