-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bernd Blaauw
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 12:55 PM
To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] Installation Difficulties

Matthew Fisher schreef:
> Still stymied, but I don't actually think it's a hardware question.
> After the install completes, on  reboot it's not actually finding
> anything to start up: everything is still in the C:\temp directory,
> and the post-install scripts aren't running.

if I recall correctly, FreeDOS attempts to locate the directory where SETUP
installed files to. So far, only drive C: supported.
If that fails, it means installer didn't complete installing packages and
then FreeDOS tries to install a core bootable system:
kernel (c:\kernel.sys), shell (at c:\temp) and bootsector.
Only alternative is to switch to the freedos installation directory manually
and execute postinst.bat there.

> Is there a step I'm missing in installing from floppies here? Or a way
> to force the next step after a clean install and rebooting with the
> install floppy instead of the non-booting hdd?

as above. Boot from diskette, press F5 and pray everything goes OK :) I'm
used to a bit defensive programming, so postinst.bat shouldn't depend too
much on earlier executed files.

I hope you're able to finish installation. I'm not fond of testing the
diskette installation procedure, as disk swapping in a virtual machine is
kind of problematic. New harddrive + a set of diskettes should do wonders
for me.

> Thanks....

Bernd