Nick Bright schreef:
-=-=-=-=-=-=- SNIP -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Nice to actually see that people read documentation :)
At the time I wrote those texts, there were no *known and working* (IDE/SCSI) cdromdrivers for config.sys,
and also the 8086-compatible version of SHSUCDX wasn't released yet.
As you can see from my previous mailing list post, I do indeed have a pre-386 system with a CDROM. The above snip leads me to belive that the cdextensions file (though it runs on my XT) hasn't been debugged for that platform, and may not even be properly compiled (e.g. 386 optimizations)? Could any devs shed some light on this, perhaps?
"DEVICE=FDCD.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /F/R/Z "
instead of above driver, could you also try ASPICD.SYS? It's closed source, so we cannot see if it works on pre386 systems,
As it's SCSI, maybe even a SCSI DVDdrive would work (Pioneer 105S maybe?) :)
ASPICD.SYS is from:
http://www.techadvice.com/w98/S/Startup-Disk_w98.htm

Usually cdrom driver components are the following:
*cdrom hardware device
*controller + specific controller driver: DEVICE=DCAM950.EXE /CA00 3
*generic device driver for some type of device (Disk, or CD): DEVICE=FDCD.SYS /D:FDCD0001 /F/R/Z
*ISO9660 redirector: SHSUCDX /D:FDCD0001 (or MSCDEX maybe)

As that device-type driver should be generic, you might have a chance of switching to ASPICD.SYS
Another generic driver should be SYMCD.SYS, available in package at:
http://www.lsilogic.com/downloads/license.do?id=2000&did=2907&pid=2099

I hope you're able to run any programs - DOS is a memoryhog if only conventional memory is available.

thanks for the 'adding cdrom to ancient computer' link.

Bernd