Hi, I would suggest an extra column for the tables in the
post 1.0 TODO list: Level / State of the wish. Example
values:

[ http://wiki.fdos.org/Main/Post_1_0_Todo ]

"legacy" - MS DOS had it, but nobody needs it anymore. For example:
  DRIVER / DRIVPARM (for tape drives, for forcing "disk change detection
  works / does not work" state, for drives above 360/720k on PC XT BIOS,
  for 3rd/4th floppy drive on PC XT...)
  FASTOPEN (superseded by SMARTDRV, but *might* be useful for really big
  directories even if SMARTDRV / LBACACHE is loaded)
  MSAV (ClamScan is better but has no nice user interface...)
  EMM386 Weitek FPU support, HIMEM EISA and CPUCLOCK support, possibly
  other (which?) EMM386 and HIMEM features
  MSCDEX local buffers
  SMARTDRV read-ahead feature ;-)
  DISKCOPY /1 to copy only 1 side (120, 160, 180k disks)
  GRAPHICS 640x200 LCD widescreen support

"syntax" - we have the feature, but use different syntax to control it.
  Examples are various (which?) EMM386 and HIMEM options, I think:
  HIGHSCAN -> X=TEST or I=TEST Pn -> FRAME=... A20CONTROL/MACHINE -> METHOD=
  what else? I suggest that TESTMEM triggers a short "RAM really present"
  test by filling the RAM with "own address" data (to check for holes and
  wraparounds). At the moment it triggers the selftest / speed test of HIMEM
  in ON state and is ignored in OFF state...

"user interface" - we have the tool, but handling has considerable
  differences. Examples: UNDELETE, GRAPHICS, LBACACHE, CDRCACHE, TICKLE,
  DOSFSCK, ClamScan...

"own version" - there are freeware solutions but no open source ones.
  Examples: DOSSHELL (File Maven, TriDOS), INTERLNK/INTERSVR (File Maven,
  LPTLink, ATAPICDD (VIDE-CDD), possibly others. Which?

"beyond DOS" - MS DOS did not have it. Maybe Win9x did. It would be nice
  to have. Examples: EMM286, CuteMouse VESA, recursive MOVE, DR-FONT...

"rarely used" - MS DOS has it but we do not really think it is useful ;-).
  Examples: SMARTDRV /B, /E, maybe some PRINT(Q) options, POWER extra high
  saving mode, MSCDEX /E buffers, some HIMEM and EMM386 options (although
  I do think that e.g. A20CONTROL / SHADOWRAM / INT15H / RAM / ROM / H
  would be nice to have eventually, for example), special sector sizes
  (did MS support 1024/2048 bytes? RAMDRIVE supported 128, 256 and 512,
  and it would actually be quite easy to add support for smaller-than-512-
  byte sectors of at least 64 bytes to our kernel...), probably also the
  "support for files of up to 4 GB size" in most but not all tools, plus
  maybe the difference between SETVER and VERSION / CALLVER?
  Also MEMMAKER/CHKSTATE, as it seems to be easy to get lots of free RAM
  with FreeDOS anyway, and MSAV, as MSAV was crap.

"future DOS" - things for modern hardware and modern OS compatibility.
  Examples: long file names, PCMCIA, USB (drives, mice, keyboards...),
  AC97->SB16 virtual soundcard generic driver, LAN-INTERLNK, WLAN,
  support for > 4 GB RAM in HIMEM / EMM386 (to let programs allocate
  4 GB several times), EMM386 / HIMEM SHADOWRAM/ROM/RAM/... for UMBPCI
  style UMB support, POWER support for PowerNow/SpeedStep/... (automatic
  dynamic CPU clock/voltage regulation, could start as auto-ACPI-throttle
  to have a mode which works for all CPUs on ACPI mainboards even though
  that one does not really modify clock or voltage), GRAPHICS support for
  modern printers and color, possibly other stuff.

"fancy wish" - not that important but would be nice to have. Examples:
  CVT, DBLSPACE, SELECT, SETVER, full translation (e.g. even for SHARE
  and other low-interaction few-messages tools), multitasking, EMM286,
  PRINTER / DISPLAY others using XMS, EMS or HMA (or DPMS) memory, what
  else?

"soon please" - would be nice to have that soon after FreeDOS 1.0, e.g.
  before 2.0, for example: UNDELETE trashcan, MOVE /S, FAT32 for disk
  tools, delayed write caching, CuteMouse VESA, several EMM386 / HIMEM
  features, FreeCOM int 2e shell-call support, other suggestions welcome.

This list is of course not complete and you see that I sometimes suggest
several labellings for the same request. I hope we can still get started
with some discussion based on the above suggestions :-).

Eric

PS: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;232557
suggests ACCDATE, DOS=AUTO/NOAUTO support and SWITCHES=/E[:n] semantics.
In particular the latter raises the question: Do we follow that style?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/msdos/comm1.mspx is the
start of a description of all MS DOS commands from the technical
reference. Quite useful...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;77052
lists all default, minimum and maximum values for many DOS things,
for example for EMS and XMS size, handle counts, RAMDRIVE, and so on.
For diskette types, see also
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;75131