On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:15:07 +0100, you wrote:

Hi,

>we're just mentioning that should run on 8086, and that they should
>support fat32. Not that FAT32 on 8086 should work in all cases..
>No 2 TeraBytes partitions on an 8bit ISA controller in a 8086..although
>the mailinglist did receive mail from a person with 8086 computer and
>cdrom installed on it.

Still thinking how many 8086 PC can support the new hardware. Also is
it worth to support the minority with so many resources?

Actually I don't mind 8086 support, but I prefer majority have the
priority.

>just like opensource SMB for DOS..everything relies on MS TCP/IP stack,
>which is a memory hog and can hardly be loaded out of conventional memory.

Yes, I can understand TCP/IP eat a lot of memory. This kind of tough
work should code in assembly to minimize the size, but again tough
job.

>I don't know how large Linux itself is nowadays. 1MB or so? The people
>working on the LinuxBIOS project have trouble integrating it into
>firmware due to size restrictions of the BIOS chip. Knoppix has also
>converted its own bootimage to 2.88MB (or is running Isolinux instead of
>direct floppy emulation).

It's great to put some low-level code in BIOS, maybe FreeDOS can also
benefit from it.

Rgds,
Johnson.