Hi,

I've been running FreeDOS with MSCLIENT 3.0 for some time connecting to Windows networks and being able to access files, install o/s etc.

Suddenly this week it does not work anymore:(

It appears the problem is related to our Domain Controllers being upgraded to Windows Server 2003. As I understand it, Windows 2000 supported "LM Authentication", and this was enabled by default on DCs, but now with 2003, LM Authentication has been disabled by default and I can't see many DC Admins allowing the security settings to be downgraded. The general consensus is that LM auth is very insecure anyway. The other setting is something called "SMB signing" which is related to not being able to hijack open sessions with a packet sniffer. MSCLIENT does not support SMB signing.

So what about the future? I'm sure we all want to be able to interact with networks, and everyone on Windows is upgrading.

I can't think of any solution to this; do we have any client software that supports Kerberos authentication or SMB signing?!

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)