hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I am using win98Se and copied and burned to diskette and CD. The latter using Nero - copy  and paste. Guess it is wrong.

Yes both as you described contained the individual files.

When burning CD using XP I normally use the XP's own burner.

I will try as you described.

Thanks again

regards
alan

Mark Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Alan:

When you do a "dir" on the CD or floppy disk (or an ls in Linux or
using Windows Explorer), do you see a single file (fdbootcd.iso or
freedos_beta9.dsk)? If so, then you created the floppy disk wrong
or burned t he CD wrong.

To burn a bootable CD, if you are using WindowsXP, you can download
the "PowerToy" to burn the cd:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Make sure to get the correct version. Remember, you should NOT
see the file fdbootcd.iso on the CD!

To create a bootable floppy disk, you can use the Windows program
RawWritewin: http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm.
It's pretty intuitive. You just give it the image file name and
the destination floppy drive name.

Are you using Windows or a different operating system to create the
floppy/burn the CD?

Mark