Hi Johnson:

Johnson Lam wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:32:55 -0500, you wrote:

Hi Mark,

> ...Partition Magic discussion...deleted

If it's 100% reliable, still worth to pay them, but it's not!

Not if the free alternatives work and are just as easy to use...
and they are!  Grab a new WindowsXP machine and do this
procedure...you will be very happy with the result.  :-)

[...]

So, it is really worth trying to modify a Linux
installer to automatically re-partition the disk
correctly?

If you CAN do this, why not?
Every piece of software have it's own value of existence.

True, but it would be a LOT of work for me since I'm
not a Linux expert and I don't have time right now.  :-(

I'm not smart, so I think the target of the dual boot should be:

1) Install FreeDOS FAT32, then install WinXP, add FreeDOS to WinXP
loader (simple but I found sometimes WinXP refuse to write the boot
sector if it's not MSDOS)

2) Make FAT32 partition somewhere in the WinXP installed hard disk,
then use boot manager (WinXP boot loader or something like Robert
Riebisch's bootmgr)

No, reloading WindowsXP is too much work and takes too much time.
If we can get exactly the same result more easily, without doing
that, it is better that way!

Rgds,
Johnson.

Mark