Hi John:

I was wrong about the boot signature check...you
don't need it.

You can use the ODIN installation floppy disk image
odin1440.img. That's what I did to run FreeDOS in BOCHS.
You can download it from http://odin.fdos.org/odin2005/.
I copied the image odin1440.img to the BOCHS directory.
The "SYS" command works from ODIN.

In Bochs, (Enter the values inside the [])

[3]  Edit Options
[8]  Disk Options
[1] Floppy Disk 0
[odin1440.img] Enter new filename...
[1.44M]  What type of floppy disk? (auto=-detect) [none]:
[return]
[0] Return to previous menu
[0] Return to previous menu
[5] Begin simulation

If you don't specify the 1.44M type, you get an error when
starting BOCHS.

HTH,

Mark

John Woolsey wrote:
I had two problems:

If I run the normal install it gives me an invalid opcode at 326c 2a35 0406 ... If I pop to dos the disk never gets the boot information on it because the freedos cd does not include kernel.sys.

Any ideas on what is wrong or another route?

My bochs config file is:
display_library: win32, options="legacyF12" # use F12 to toggle mouse
megs: 32
romimage: file=$BXSHARE/BIOS-bochs-latest, address=0xf0000
vgaromimage: file=$BXSHARE/VGABIOS-lgpl-latest
vga: extension=vbe
#
floppya: 1_44=freedos-img/a.img, status=inserted
floppyb: 1_44=a:, status=inserted
#floppyb: 1_44=freedos-img/b.img, status=inserted
ata0-master: type=disk, path="c.img", mode=growing, cylinders=40, heads=16, spt=63 #ata0-master: type=disk, path=freedos-img/c.img, cylinders=306, heads=4, spt=17 ata0-slave: type=cdrom, path=Y:/z/install/emulation/fdfullcd.iso, status=inserted
boot: cdrom
#boot: c
log: bochsout.txt
mouse: enabled=0