I think these issues are really important to all Free Software
development.  FreeDOS (for instance) does not really help spread
multimedia and therefore is largely excluded from the DRM conversation.

Who defines this assumed trust in software? The user of the
manufacturer? The way I see it the file can have a crc or md5 signed
trusted info block to verify who wrote/and distributed it. and the user
can have control over which is excluded.

--chris
http://nxdos.sourceforge.net/