Hello, all!

On 3 different old computers (486 to Pentium 100 - all with at least 16 MB), I installed the new Service Release 2 from the bootable CD.  I installed on either FAT16 or FAT32 partitions (1 to 2 GB) created by FreeDOS.  All of the installations were error-free.

On all 3 machines I generate this error while processing AUTOEXEC.BAT:

FreeCOM: XMSSwap-In: Memory allocation error
Cannot terminate permanent FreeCOM instance
System halted ... reboot or power off now

The only thing I have figured out so far is that the problem is related to SHSUCDX.  Three scenarios:

1) If I let the program load high with the default command line created by the installer, then it will load successfully, but some program loading after it in AUTOEXEC.BAT will generate the memory allocation error.

2) If I use SHSUCDX with the /C switch to load in conventional memory, the error does not occur.

3) On two of the machines, the error will not occur during boot-up (but it probably will while loading other programs) if I leave out the /C switch but move SHSUCDX to the bottom of AUTOEXEC.BAT.  On the third machine the error occurs while SHSUCDX is loading.

Anyone recognize this problem?

I follow with my configuration below.

John Hupp

P.S. You may know that I am also troubleshooting a problem with EMM386 and the PCI video card on one of these three machines, but because this error is on all three I am thinking the problems are not connected.

SWITCHES=/F/N
COUNTRY=001,858,C:\FDOS\BIN\COUNTRY.SYS
SET LANG=EN
LASTDRIVE=Z
BUFFERS=20
FILES=40
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DOSDATA=UMB
SET DIRCMD=/OGN /4
DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\HIMEM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=TEST VDS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:FDCD0001
SHELL=C:\command.com C:\ /E:512 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET DOSDIR=C:\FDOS
SET PATH=C:\FDOS\bin
SET NLSPATH=C:\FDOS\NLS
SET HELPPATH=C:\FDOS\HELP
SET TEMP=C:\FDOS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\FDOS\TEMP
SET CODEPAGE=858
SET WATTCP.CFG=C:\FDOS\BIN

SHSUCDX /Q+ /D:?FDCD0001

LH DISPLAY CON=(EGA,,1)
MODE CON CP PREP=((858) C:\FDOS\cpi\EGA.CPX)
LH NLSFUNC /Y C:\FDOS\bin\country.sys
IF "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" CHCP %codepage%
IF "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="1" MODE CON CP SEL=%codepage%

LH KEYB UX,,C:\FDOS\bin\keybrd3.sys
IF EXIST C:\FDOS\BIN\MOUSE.EXE CTMOUSE

LH LBACACHE.COM