Thanks to all who wrote.  I have a measure of progress to report.

Not only for the Loadhigh problem, but also for several others I've reported, Eric Auer suggested updating KERNEL.SYS, COMMAND.COM and EMM386/HIMEM.EXE.  (He speculated that the Service Release 2 version of FreeCOM might be a crippled version that does not support LH.)

As far as I can tell SR2 already includes the most recent version of EMM386 (v2.08, 11/28/2005).  I'll assume that HIMEM from SR2 (ver 3.12) is also the most recent.

SR2 initially installed these:
KERNEL version 1.1.35w Build 2035w-unstable, 11/30/2005
FreeCOM 0.84-pre XMS_Swap, 11/25/05

I updated to these:
KERNEL version 1.1.35 Build 2035b-cvs, 4/18/2006
FreeCOM 0.84-pre XMS_Swap, 4/18/2006

After the update I found that KEYB and LBACACHE were now successfully loading high.

However, DISPLAY still loads in conventional memory.  Again, I am assuming that it should successfully load high because the CD installation configures it with LH, and in the SR2 README (the post-installation RAM layout), MEM /C/P shows DISPLAY loaded high.

Also, NLSFUNC does not show up at all in the MEM /C/P report.  The CD installation creates the command line:
    LH NLSFUNC /Y C:\FDOS\BIN\COUNTRY.SYS
But neither NLSFUNC nor COUNTRY.SYS show up in MEM /C.

Can anyone resolve those two questions?

ADDENDUM: UPDATE DIFFICULTIES

The FreeDOS volunteers are doing a whale of a job.   ;-)

But I have always had a hard time locating updates.

The SourceForge home of FreeDOS has a Software link that leads to a Base software link
(http://freedos.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/freedos-lsm.cgi?q=d&a=base) that has old versions of the base components - probably from SR 1.