I wrote earlier (April 15 and following) noting that Display, Nlsfunc, Keyb, and Lbacache would not load high under 0.9 Beta SR 2 on several machines with 16-20 MB.  I was running the default DOS configuration only slightly modified, to add Lbacache, for instance.

Eric Auer suggested updating the Kernel and FreeCOM.  He also noted that though Nlsfunc is installed by the CD distro, it is only supported under development versions.

Updating the Kernel and FreeCOM did result in Keyb and Lbacache loading high successfully, which added support to Eric's thought that the CD distro may not have included working support for Loadhigh.

But I find that Display still will not load high, even under a stripped-down DOS configuration such as follows below.

Eric also noted that Display is part of FreeDOS's international support, and that I do not need it if I am happy with the default codepage and font.  (Back in the day when I was a regular DOS user, I never did much with international support, and not much more with special display support.)

--John Hupp

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to submit posts so that they appear in the archive as part of a previous thread?  For those who are researching a problem, that would be much quicker and cleaner.

CONFIG.SYS
--------------------
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DOSDATA=UMB
DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\HIMEM.EXE
DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\EMM386.EXE NOEMS X=TEST VDS
SHELL=C:\command.com C:\ /E:512 /P=C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT

(I also tried EMM386 with default behavior, without any options)

AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET DOSDIR=C:\FDOS
SET PATH=C:\FDOS\bin
SET TEMP=C:\FDOS\TEMP