To display other character sets in your DOS console please check the
DISPLAY and MODE commands, that will help you on that. There are many
examples in the bootdisks to show how to use it.
I don't know which character set, just tell us which are the settings
of these programs in MS-DOS that you use, and we can tell you how to
write that in FreeDOS (almost the same).

Aitor