Hi Ray,

> First, do you actually except that you cannot boot any Win 3x, including
> 3.11.  You have to boot something else first and then run Win 3x as an
> app.

Yes and no. We all agree you can start WfW from "DOS" and we also know
it has it's own startup files that could be called "DOS", but what does
DOS really mean in the context of FreeDOS? I always thought it meant DOS
6.22, but maybe it means DOS 7.x, or DOS 8.x too?

If you start an o/s from within DOS, does it mean by definition that
it's "just a DOS shell", or could it be an o/s in it's own right? If
every API call is mapped back to a DOS 6.22 interrupt then it seems fair
to call it a DOS shell, but if File I/O is not using calls to DOS then
would it be fair to say it's not "just a DOS shell"?

If multiple programs are all reading/wirting to the NIC stream at the
same time from WfW 3.11, are you saying they are merely managing
time-slices to the underlying DOS 6.22 o/s and that it's DOS 6.22 that
is doing the actual reading and writing to the PCI bus? Or is it the
case that it's not using DOS calls at all?

> DRDOS has DPMI.  I assume FD could if it doesn't.

What is the exact technical reason you can't start WfW 3.11 from
FreeDOS? Is it the DPMI thing or something else?

> For what this is worth, I am able to get FreeDOS with the Q stuff to run
> on newer MBs - AMD 64 -that fail with DRDOS.

Yes, FreeDOS is great on modern hardware.

 > They don't like EMM386; DR
> or FD.

Yes, I've posted at great length about this in the past. I use UMBPCI at
the moment.

> 64 bit is a bit of a jump, but if you will settle for 32 bit - for now -
> I think we did most of that, it's called OS/2,

Ah OK! Maybe it's time to look again at OS/2.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)