Hi,

I also use Windows setup from network without RIS. I don't use RIS
because it requires DHCP, but we use static for the whole network.

Under MS-DOS I use SMARTDRV but under FreeDOS I use lbacache.

How do you know the SATA drive access is "slow", how did you measure it?
Did you swap out an IDE drive for a SATA drive on the same PC and run a
benchmark or time the installation?

You didn't clarify your hardware. I think the BIOS and controller driver
can make a big difference here and you didn't clarify either?

I've found that on Dell GX270 and above that the BIOS makes the SATA
drive look like an IDE drive and that it's very fast with FreeDOS and
lbacache (based on timing the same box with an IDE drive). Most non-Dell
SATA motherboards from a year ago don't work like this - you need a SATA
controller driver, or you end up with very slow BIOS access or no access
at all.

Out of interest, what servers are you using, and what authentication
method do you use (e.g. LM, NTLM, Kerberos).

Carsten Müller wrote:
> Hi Robert.
>
> RIS is not an option because i have to use another Product-Key for every PC.
> I solved this
> With a little Batch script. So i have to do it this way.
>
> lbacache is running. But how about SMARTDRV? I read on other sites that it
> causes some corrupted data on the harddisk.
> Is that issue solved? Where can i find detailed Infos about this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carsten Müller
>
> Robert Riebisch wrote:
>> I use FreeDOS to start an unattended Windows XP Pro Installation from
>  > a Network-Share.
>
>  How about RIS?
>
>  > copy process. Is there another stable way to speed it up? At the
>
>  lbacache, SMARTDrive, ...
>
>  Robert Riebisch
>  --
>  BTTR Software