Hi Markus,

It's not dying, and it's not spam. These are misconceptions of people
don't use newsgroups. Young people who are interested in low level
open-source programming certainly do use newsgroups.

The "web" does not have the advanced information. The web only has the
beginners guide. If you want to know something low-level you have to use
a newsgroup. You can't even phone anyone! Even if you pay for expensive
support contracts, the guys on the other end of the phone won't know the
answer - the only guys with the answer are the guys on NNTP.

Even outside open source, NNTP is still the best place to hang out. Look
at Microsoft for example, there's no spam, but there are hundreds of
discussions and answers that simply don't exist on the web, examples
include DCOM,ATL,COM+,LDAP-SDK,ADSI,AD,IIS-SDK,WMI - try looking up the
fine details of Vista's new boot loader on the web, you won't find it,
but go to NNTP and everyone is ready to help.

Check out the standards based C++ groups, then check out the PERL groups
and their associated CPAN libraries, check out Apache, check out Linux,
they are all better than what you can get on the web. People who update
websites are just too slow, NNTP is fast. NNTP is the future.

Markus H. Maussner wrote:
> Hi Gerry
>
>>> I don't do news groups.
>>>

>> I think that's a shame; newsgroups have wider reach, they are also a
>>

> news is a dying thing. i grew up with it, but u would hardly find ppl in
> the "young generation" that even knew that such a thing exists.
>
> a lot of universities here closed the newsserver in favour for some some
> webboards.
>
> i love the newssystem and theres groups i am -mostly just passivly
> reading- using for more than 15 years.
>
> maybe if there where something like the "ie or firefox" for news from
> the beginning maybe theres more acceptance, but right now its just a
> place for spammers and ppl sharing files if u want to belive the media.
>
> i also think that the phenomenon of "endless septemer" added to it
>
> i am a volonteer tutor for a nationwide project that want to bring
> "teenager/children" into it/linux and most of them have no idea about
> news, irc, and all the other "neat" things.. for them the internet just
> consists of the "web&im".
>
> sorry for being offtopic but i just feel so sorry about this.
>
> have a nice day
>
> tassilo
>
> p.s.: endless september : http://www.stopspam.org/faqs/endlesssept.html

Gerry Hickman (London UK)