First, thank you Eric and Aitor for your replies.

> 1) Which of the two VMs would be preferable for this application.

Neither. You can use Bochs or QEMU which are both free and open source ;-)
But well, VMWare will work, too. As probably all others...

There might be other technical criteria which might decide on this, such as minimal required hard disk space or  RAM to be allocated to the VM. May be there are also criteria to be considered in connection with the program to be run which is a spread sheet program using as programming language which is more or less equivalent to Pascal.

> 2) Once the VM would be installed, what do I have to do to get FreeDOS
> installed on it?

You can use the downloadable ISO (cdrom image) and load that as
a virtual cdrom into your preferred VM. Then boot from that and
follow the instructions to install DOS on your virtual harddisk.

Here are really my questions since I'm not familiar how the VMs work:

If I understand this right
1) the VM can be downloaded on the Windows computer and the install file started, more or less like any other program.

2) I guess that FreeDOS also is downloaded using Windows and saved somewhere in a Windows folder.

But now
3) how does one get the FreeDOS started on the VM? And

4) how can I access now the Framework program from the DOS shell? I guess that Framework can't be copied into a Windows folder; the program has probably to be copied from diskette or CD to disk using DOS, i.e. into a DOS folder.

Marcel