Hi Art:

Well, if the "ls" command from Linux sees the DOS files on the USB
stick (that are booting) on either /dev/sdd or /dev/sdd1, then
doing a "cp" to the appropriate device, where Linux should now see
the DOS files and the ones you added, should put the files you want
on a large USB disk.  When you boot the USB stick, does it boot
as A: or C:?  It should boot to that prompt and a "DIR" command
should show the DOS files (at least kernel.sys and command.com).
Does it?

Are you using the new FreeDOS 1.0 release?  There was a nasty
bug with booting USB sticks on machines without floppy disk
drives in some earlier FreeDOS versions.

Mark