Lee Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a version of Lua for freedos? Unfortunatly I've
> only found a binary for version 4, I am looking for a binary for the
> newer version 5.1.1. If there is no binary can lua be compiled in
> freedos? Thanks

I don't know about a DOS binary for 5.1.1 (I don't use Lua) but I did
find this news item from 2001 on our web site, which is probably what
you are referring to:

>  LUA for DOS
> Aug 15 2001 by jhall
> Ken Yap has patched the Lua script language to compile using BC31 on
> DOS. I have posted his patch at ibiblio. Here is Ken's announcement:
> This contains patch and bat files to compile LUA with Borland C 3.1
> under DOS. To use: Get the LUA distribution from www.lua.org. Unpack
> it. You will find a directory called lua. Unpack [the patch] in this
> directory. It will create this file, a patch file and 4 bat files.
> Patch the source either with the Unix patch program or by hand, it's
> just a one line change. Go to each of the directories in turn and run
> the bat files. The executables are lua.exe (interpreter) and luac.exe
> (compiler).
> And what is Lua? From the web site: Lua is a powerful, light-weight
> programming language designed for extending applications. Lua is also
> frequently used as a general-purpose, stand-alone language. Lua is
> free software.
> Lua combines simple procedural syntax with powerful data description
> constructs based on associative arrays and extensible semantics. Lua
> is dynamically typed, interpreted from bytecodes, and has automatic
> memory management with garbage collection, making it ideal for
> configuration, scripting, and rapid prototyping.
> A fundamental concept in the design of Lua is to provide
> meta-mechanisms for implementing features, instead of providing a host
> of features directly in the language. For example, although Lua is not
> a pure object-oriented language, it does provide meta-mechanisms for
> implementing classes and inheritance. Lua's meta-mechanisms bring an
> economy of concepts and keep the language small, while allowing the
> semantics to be extended in unconventional ways. Extensible semantics
> is a distinguishing feature of Lua.
> Lua is a language engine that you can embed into your application.
> This means that, besides syntax and semantics, Lua has an API that
> allows the application to exchange data with Lua programs and also to
> extend Lua with C functions. In this sense, Lua can be regarded as a
> language framework for building domain-specific languages.

And the download pointed to:
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/system/lua/

This included a patch to the then-current version of Lua to compile on
DOS.  Not sure what chose changes entailed, but you might have a look at
those patches and see if you can apply them to Lua 5.1.1.  I don't know
of another place to find a DOS binary of Lua.

-jh