Hi.  All of the environment variables that you use above are used in
FreeDOS apps, so depending on what you want out of FreeDOS you _do_
need those set lines.  DOSDIR is used for fdpkg to install new
packages, NLSDIR is used by kittenized apps to locate translated
messages, HELPPATH is used by HELP to locate its help files, PATH is
used to find utilities not in the current directory (obvious), TEMP
and TMP are used by a variety of apps FreeDOS and non-FreeDOS to make
temporary files, and DIRCMD is used by FreeCOM to specify options to
use for DIR every time it is run.  TMPPATH could even be in there as
well, because unix programs ported to DOS use this instead of TEMP or
TMP to create temporary files.

As for the PATH thing, in MSDOS SET PATH worked fine, but there was
also a PATH command which would just have the syntax of "PATH
C:\FDOS\BIN;...".  That just sets the environment variable PATH
exactly the same way as SET though.

On 11/25/06, Lester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In my Fdauto.bat I've always had SET command everywhere. Someone has just
> pointed out that I could probably skip SET in most (all?) of the lines.
> I have even come across a notion that in ms-dos "set was used to set
> other environment variables/parameters but not the path".
>
> Tnx, Lester
>
> ----------
> Fdauto.bat
>
> @ECHO OFF
> PROMPT $P$G
> SET DOSDIR=D:\FDOS
> SET NLSDIR=%DOSDIR%\NLS
> SET HELPPATH=%DOSDIR%\HELP
> SET PATH=%DOSDIR%\BIN
> SET TEMP=E:\TEMP
> SET TMP=E:\TEMP
> SET DIRCMD=/P /OG /A
> SRDISK.EXE 8192
> SHCDX33C /D:?CDRCACH$ /V /~+ /Q+
> CTMOUSE.EXE
> ECHO CuteMouse Driver Loaded
> FREE.EXE

Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change
color and fall from the trees.
   David Letterman (1947 - )

See ya