Gunaydin Deniz ;-)

Thanks for the compliments about FreeDOS. Of course it should
not only make you feel like 15 years in the past but also like
a more modern variant of DOS than the one you knew in MS DOS 6.

Usually, FreeDOS memory consumption is quite low. Some ideas:

Only load DOSLFN when you really want to use long file names.

Only load SHARE when you think you need it (for example when
you want to run DOS apps from within Windows)...

Only load DISPLAY when you really need a font with characters
which are not in your VGA BIOS font. For me myself, being able
to show the Euro currency sign on the DOS screen is not worth
10 or more kilobytes of RAM ;-).

Always load HIMEM, because that gives you HMA and XMS, and
with DOS=HIGH and with our default FreeCOM command.com XMS
swapping feature, that already saves quite some memory.

Upgrade from EMM386 to JEMM386 from www.japheth.de, but take
some time to read the docs and to manually tune your JEMM386
config sys line. It can happen easily that the default config
either does not give you much UMB (DOS=UMB / DOS=HIGH,UMB)
space or tries to use UMB areas which are in use by sth else,
like your mainboard or network chipset, and make DOS unstable.

http://fd-doc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?n=FdDocEn.FdInstall
has some more useful hints, and you can even edit it yourself.

> When calling "mem.exe /all", I get told, that FreeDOS is using HMA,
> but that there is still 11Kbytes (11359 bytes) free within HMA.
> Is it possible to load some drivers into this free area of HMA or
> to use it in some way?

That is interesting. Normally, the kernel will use 40 kB of HMA
for kernel code and the rest for BUFFERS. Maybe you have a line
BUFFERS=toomany so the kernel could not put them into HMA? Try
fewer buffers then. For example, try BUFFERS=30. If not all of
them fit into HMA, then the kernel might have to use low memory
for more than needed, leaving actually more HMA space unused.

> I realised that "LOADHIGH" and "DEVICEHIGH" of the original MS-DOS had
> some extra parameter switches (/L and /S). With these one is able to
> specify more directly to which UMB the programs shall be loaded.

I think that such switches are indeed available for LOADHIGH but
actually I never used them, even with MS DOS. It is equally
efficient to just tune things by reordering the drivers, checking
which driver should be loaded after which. Also for DEVICEHIGH.
If you load a driver into the biggest block, then it will not
use more memory than usual. You can also load drivers which use
less memory later, when only smaller areas are left over.

And yes, you can also load device drivers from the command line,
that tool is called DEVLOAD. Devload lets you decide where to
load a driver, but the choice is not as flexible as with LOADHIGH.

> By setting "DOSDATA=UMB" in FDconfig.sys the "BUFFERS", "STACKS",
> "FILES" etc. from FDconfig sys get loaded to UMB

This is correct. If they are scattered around, there should be
no problem. Actually only FILES and BUFFERS should be split:
A small amount in low DOS memory and the rest in UMB and HMA.
You cannot always work in UMB, so a bit stays in low memory.

Do not forget to check mem /d or mem /c or similar output for
further manual tuning :-).

Let me know how far you got. Without UMB, 600kB free should
be quite feasible, and with UMB, you can even get 620kB or more.

To squeeze out even more memory, you could use some "Q" drivers,
but they recently need some tricks to load in FreeDOS. The Q
HIMEM is almost as big as the normal one, but there are tuned
cdrom and shsucdx and udma drivers which are interesting, esp
if you really need the last byte. For me, 600kB is enough :-).

Eric

PS: On modern PCs, more and more ROMs and MMIO spaces float
around in areas which could be used for UMBs in the past, so
you will get only small UMBs on that 2 GB dual core Athlon :-p.