Thanks Jim for that info. I think proprietary ones will start fading soon.
Currently I am trying to get some hardware manufacturers in India to promote
ReactOS. Most of the vendors now offer FreeDOS as default OS preloaded.
Rgds,
CK Raju

Jim Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: It's a good idea, but it's something the
ReactOS developers need to
take on, not FreeDOS developers.  ReactOS is free to pull whatever
programs they like from FreeDOS.  Everything in FreeDOS "Base" is
under the GNU GPL or a similar free license, and most other packages
are similarly free.  For example, I believe they forked their cmd from
FreeDOS FreeCOM.

However, many of the utilities & applications from FreeDOS may not be
appropriate for ReactOS.  DOS applications often rely on direct
low-level access to the hardware (interrupts, bios calls, etc) where
Windows applications (like under ReactOS) prefer to be written at a
higher level.  DOS applications that access the FAT may not be
something to interest the ReactOS folks, as they must use NTFS
instead.

-jh